One of the contractors came over to me at lunch time.
“We are having problems updating things - we get all the way through, but right at the end we are getting a strange error message, something about permissions. I checked the permissions and they all looked fine,so I googled the message. It suggested one of the updates hasn’t been added. But I know that it has - you did it for us last month. I then went in to check what updates actually have been added, and it is saying there are none added. None at all.”
I look at him with horror. We double check it, and yes, he is right, the software believes there are no updates. I know I added 3 at the end of July, and it was all working fine then.
“And also, the ‘update’ directory isn’t there, it appears to have disappeared.”
I compare it with a working server. It’s not just the one directory, it has several sub-directories, and many files underneath that.
“You installed that extra component the other day, would that have deleted it?”
“No. No way would adding something like that cause this sort of mayhem, not with the vendors knowing about it and sending out major warnings. Stupid Bitch spoke to them before we did the install, they’d have warned us if there was likely to be any problems.” I said this confidently, but not entirely sure that if the software company had told her she’d have either told me about it, or taken any notice of it.
I do, however, remember her talking about seeing processes pointing to the update folder when I was off sick two weeks ago, and she was having, “Such problems,” dealing with the normal shit I deal with every day.
I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. She wouldn’t have. Would she?
At this point she turns up, and I give her the gist of the problem.
“Oh yes, the update directory, that’s the place where we download the update files to and just run them from there isn’t it?”
“No. We download the files to the temporary directory, I am not entirely sure how the software processes them,” I said, with the certain knowledge that come the end of the week I am going to know intimately the process, “but I am guessing it adds files and updates files within this ‘update’ directory.”
“No,” she said, with absolute certainty, “The update directory is just for temporary files. Anyway, I am off now, I have the afternoon off, bye.” And she fucked off.
I have spent the afternoon trying to sort this problem out. Hoping that all I need to do is just reinstall the updates. But to do so I have to boot off all the users of the server, and there are many. I am casually saying, “I have no idea what happened, the directory has disappeared, we’re not sure when, or how….”
One of the users hot the nail on the head. “There are only two users who would have access to that, the installation user, which is you or Stupid Bitch, or root.” Hmmmm, yes, I know.
I still don’t know for definite, but luckily I took screen shots of everything before I even attempted any changes (to send to my company for advice, not necessarily to finger point at anyone), and it appears the parent directory was last amended late afternoon of the day I was off sick………
After trying everything, I am now looking to restore the whole thing from a backup. This will prove for definite exactly when it was deleted.
What has really pissed me off though is she must have known she had deleted it, before she buggered off home. I have spent several hours this afternoon trying to ‘figure out’ what happened, proving it to the ups when things were changed, what was added when. If she had just held her hand up we could at least say, “Hey, it was a mistake, let’s get it sorted and then figure out how to make sure it doesn’t happen again.” Instead, I am having to investigate dead end avenues, to show that it couldn’t possibly have happened that way.
She is fucking dangerous.